- No Malcolm Jenkins. It may be the start of a long absence from camp. Loomis: "“I would say there is not a lot of progress at this point."
- Lance Moore is on the Physically Unable to Perform list (PUP) , which is like the injured reserve (IR) lite: he still counts on the roster but can't practice. After preseason, a player can be placed on the reserve PUP for the first six weeks of the season and still play after that, unlike the IR which ends his season. Moore is still rehabbing a shoulder injury suffered during weightlifting this offseason.
- Adrian Arrington is also on the PUP with a hamstring injury. That doesn't bode well for last year's seventh round pick facing heavy competition for jobs at the position.
- MLB Jonathan Vilma had a scope in his abdomen. He will practice but may be limited. The reason was "to repair some abdominal tissue," though the injury was not disclosed and it is not a sports hernia, according to Payton. Sports hernias can be painful, lingering injuries.
(Edit: Payton said it wasn't a "full" sports hernia. So apparently it was a less than full sports hernia. It was a sports hernia. It is a legitimate concern. Nuff said.)
- The Saints waived Rob Ninkovich before camp to make room for Saint draft pick signees Vaughn and Morstead. Ninkovich was the backup longsnapper and a reserve defensive end. He was originally drafted by the Saints but was injured his rookie season and ended up with the Dolphins. The possibility of his return is open. The team had already opened one roster spot by waiving FB Darian Barnes.
- The team won't have to waive a player soon to make room for Stanley Arnoux, who is out for the season with a minicamp Achilles injury and will sign his rookie deal later. They will have to waive a player to make room for Jenkins, whenever he signs.
- “I was very encouraged with the running and the shape the players reported in,” said Saints Head Coach Payton.
- Payton reiterated the Saints' company line: they have no interest in Michael Vick.
- Movie star Terry Crews predicts playoffs for the Saints. That's not news, or from the press conference, just a bit of variety.