- The morning workouts of veteran linebackers Derrick Brooks and Derek Smith did not result in contracts today. Neither player was on the field with the Saints for their afternoon practice. Brooks has reportedly left town and no contracts are imminent.
- The Raiders are reportedly also interested in Derrick Brooks, because the last time the two got together it turned out so well for Oakland.
- New head coach Raheem Morris in Tampa Bay said he doesn't want Brooks to sign in New Orleans:
Anytime you talk about stuff like that you’re talking about Joe Montana playing in Kansas City or Jerry Rice playing for Oakland, you’re talking about Tony Dorsett playing for Denver. You’re talking about stuff nobody likes to see, but as you know, players like to play. I wish Derrick the best. He’ll be back here soon. He’ll always be a Buc. We want Derrick as a Buc. That’s my guy. What do you want me to tell you? Of course I don’t want to see him (as a Saint).
- Rookie defensive back Malcolm Jenkins was widely believed to be a tweener cornerback/safety in the NFL, what with his great size and good but not great speed. All the talk out of Jenkins and the Saints' coaching staff has been that the team is working him at cornerback. But according to radio reports from Kenny Wilkerson's WGSO Sports Unplugged show, in Gregg Williams' creative schemes Jenkins is working a cornerback position that looks an awful lot like where a safety would be.
- Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis says that the preseason opener this Friday in the Superdome is going to be...
a really good test. A year ago, their season didn’t finish like they wanted it to finish. They have a group of fairly experienced guys, they have a lot of guys that have played for other teams, and their style of offense puts a stress on what you’re going to get as far as screens, draws, reverses and bootlegs. We will just have to see how it unfolds.
- The Bengals will meanwhile be starring in HBO's Hard Knocks television series tonight.
- Rasual "Instant Offense" Butler for only an undisclosed second round pick? Why not ask for some California IOU's and a basket of mangoes?