- The Saints will likely be without Scott Fujita for the third straight game. Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Troy Evans will continue to platoon in his place. Defensive tackles Sedrick Ellis and Kendrick Clancy, the opening game starting pair, were also unable to practice on Thursday with knee injuries.
- WR Lance Moore's ankle injury is the latest in a string of unfortunate twists for the receiver. Nobody likes to see Moore's smiles on the sidelines, when his smiles on the field are the signs of first downs.
- Head coach Sean Payton indicated today that the 4-6 week estimate for Ellis' sprained MCL is not accurate, and that he expects the first round pick back sooner than that.
- With Ellis on the shelf, the Saints took a look at DE Paul Spicer, who went to camp with the Saints and at one point was expected to start while starters Will Smith and Charles Grant were suspended. The suspensions were lifted, Spicer was outplayed by younger players and the Saints cut the 34-year old after training camp. Spicer received some looks around the league but remains a free agent.
The Saints also worked out free agent DT Rodrique Wright, 25, 6'5", 200 pounds, and three seasons out of Texas. Wright started nine games for the Dolphins in 2007, but missed his rookie season of 2006 with a shoulder injury and was a healthy inactive for all of 2008 as the Dolphins moved to a 3-4 defense. In that alignment, Wright was asked to shift to defensive end and never saw the field. He was cut by the Dolphins after training camp this past September.
- The Panthers will be without longtime stalwart offensive players WR Muhsin Muhammad and FB Brad Hoover.
- CB Danny Gorrer, who camped with the Saints as an undrafted free agent and won a job on the practice squad, has been plucked by the St. Louis Rams.
The Saints signed another undrafted rookie, CB Mark Parson from Ohio. Parson is undersized at just 5'8 1/2", 186 pounds, but is quick. Since going undrafted in April he's spent time with the Texans and Lions.
Here's a fluff story in August from the Houston Chronicle on Parson and his son.
- Another ex-Saint cornerback has found a job too. Much maligned but classy Jason David signed with Detroit.
- Former LSU basketball star and current Boston Celtic F Glen "Big Baby" Davis probably doesn't have a serious chance of fulfilling his dream to play in the NFL.
- SI's Peter King has a great article about the success of the Saints' run game and the intellects behind it.
- Unpleasant article on former Saints RB George Rogers, dealing with the effects of a bruising seven-year career in the NFL.